Coyote in a Yellowstone Blizzard Reposted

@Max_Waugh, @JRajput, Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I am not sure if this was what you had in mind. Tried adding canvas and using the content aware to improve the postion of the subject in the image and the aspect ratio.

Any help is appreciated

Help is always appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Taken with a Nikon D850 withe a Nikkor 500 pf f/5.6
Taken at f/5.6 ISO 2200 1/6400 sec +0.67. Didn’t need the shutter speed, but hand holding, and so much light. Nikon 850 is new to me, and with the larger sensor, some concern that any movement from hand holding could exacerbate edge blur. After a week, a bit more comfortable.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

4 Likes

Cheryl, I love this scene. You got some great details in this portrait, especially on the snow-encrusted face.

Due to the coyote’s pose and leftward gaze, I feel like it would be better positioned in the right portion of the frame. In this case, the canvas to the right of the subject is a bit distracting, especially since it’s a bit brighter and devoid of some of the texture found in the rest of the upper frame. The eye wants to follow the coyote’s gaze to the left, but the large bright area behind sort of tugs us in the other direction. If you have a bit more of the original frame to the left (and it doesn’t include any major blemishes in the background), I feel like it would be better to bring more of that back in while cropping slightly off the right.

Max

One of the most beautiful wildlife portraits I’ve seen. I like the dreamy look to this. Great work Cheryl!

Absolutely gorgeous Cheryl!

This one of the best wildlife portraits that I’ve seen in a long time. I love the looking back over the shoulder pose, the shutter speed that caught the snowflakes, and the snow on the fur.

This is simply a beautiful image, outstanding work on this one :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk, @Max_Waugh , @Richard_Wong, @linda_mellor, thanks for your comments and suggestions. No place else do you get the candor, help and support that you get from the NPN.

3 Likes

Absolutely stunningly beautiful, Cheryl!!! love the way he is gazing, and all that snow on him, and still falling. Great shot! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Love the close up and great details in the face, I echo Max’s idea of having some more canvas on the left…to complete the arc of body in the frame.
Cheers!

Cheryl, I should probably clarify that I’m not the type that usually adds canvas in post to my own work if it’s not already there in the original frame, so I never suggest doing so to others. I just wasn’t sure if you had more of the original frame to work with, which you had perhaps cropped on purpose. If you had told me you had cropped off the left portion of the image because you wanted to center the triangular form of the coyote, for example, I could absolutely understand that decision.

While the canvas addition and Content Aware work is actually well-rendered, I suppose it doesn’t look natural enough without the falling snow, so you’re probably better off keeping the original crop.

Max

1 Like

Cheryl
Gorgeous portrait of this coyote! Congratulations on the WP!

1 Like