Yellowstone Wolf

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is about 26% of the original frame. Wish I would have have my 1.4x on but didn’t have time to make the change… Dang.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Cropped to allow for the tracks to bring the viewer to the wolf and then let the old tracks that had been used (in front of the wolf) continue the flow. It did center the wolf a bit from left to right, but I’m OK with that for this image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-II, Olympus 300mm f/4
1/1600 @ f/5, ISO 200
Handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Keith, a wonderful take of this wolf in the natural setting here. Although the 1.4 would have brought the wolf in closer, I kinda like the image as we see it now with the leading and trailing paths in the snow…:sunglasses:

So, the curiosity to the scene and possible story was, is it follow the leader here, or is the wolf in pursuit?..:wolf:

I would love to have made this image - 26% or not. The only time I’ve seen wolves in Yellowstone was through a scope.

Beautiful surroundings with the wolf showing up so well against the snow. The somewhat center comp doesn’t bother me either. It’s kind of a tossup anyway on leaving room where he’s going or where he’s looking.

Excellent, Keith. I like your composition a lot.

I think a closer in shot would’ve worked too but I really like the story that this crop tells. I’d love to get a wolf in my crosshairs sometime!

Hi Keith,

At first I though-‘yea, I feel your pain’ in not having the time to place the 1.4 on the rig for a closer view, but in looking at the entire scene I like this as posted. The tracks both leading into and out of frame, along with the distant wood line in focus offers a vivid look at the harsh environment these wolves inhabit. Nice.

Great setting and wonderful frame! I like how you have used the track to lead the viewer’s attention to the Wolf, also love the long shadows across the frame.

It’s so difficult to get any wolf shots like this in the park that this has to be considered a “win.”

Lots of interesting lines here, Keith, between the trees, shadows and the trail. You could have cropped a number of ways, I imagine, but I like that you chose to keep the trail in the frame.

Max

Keith: virtually any shot of a wolf is a keeper, yet this one has many redeeming features. The leading lines in the snow, the backward glance of the wolf and the wolf in the winter environment tell a great story.

A nice image you can be proud of. Like others have said before any wolf image is a good one. Yours tells a story very nicely. Good for you. I like it as presented.

Hi Keith,

It looks like you were able to get most of the canids covered during your trip. Well done……………….Jim