Winter Coyote

I returned recently from a 2 week photography trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. It was a great trip with incredible scenery and some wonderful wildlife viewing and photography!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is full frame, composed in camera. I wanted to show the environment and the fact that this coyote was hanging out next to some open water. I thought about a crop from the top, but didn’t care for it.

Any pertinent technical details:

Olympus EM-1 Mark II, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/640, f/8, ISO 800

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

This is an amazing photograph Keith. The meditative look on the coyote makes such a powerful statement. I can’t help but wonder what that beautiful creature was contemplating as it sat there in the vast, cold and desolate landscape.

I love your choice of framing here … environmental portraits of wildlife are rare, especially one as good as this.

I like it, Keith. It has a great sense of place and the lines of the creek are appealing. The 4/3 aspect ratio works nicely for the vertical.

Wonderful as-is. There’s a “second” great photo lurking in there with a crop to horizontal just above the far shoreline. What a terrific setting and moment.

Thanks Hank. I have a horizontal image that I captured that sounds just like what you’re describing. It was a wonderful moment.

Just beautiful, Keith. I like it like it is too. I was think the same thing about an horizontal crop as Hank described, and I am sure it is a good one, but I like this so much, that without seeing the horizontal one, I can’t image it getting much better. With our long lenses these days, we seem to forget the environmental shots. A real treat!

Wonderful composition, Keith. No criticisms from me. Really love the placement of the fox in the frame. Well done.

1 Like

Pretty neat take on the habitat, Keith. I might never have thought to frame vertically. It’s nice to include the bits of gold grasses up top. I’d love to get one of these guys diving for a meal.

I’m a little late to the party but I’ll just echo that it’s a lovely shot. You did good to leave it virtually uncropped.

I just love the animals-cape, the negative space is so wonderful here!
I wonder how the color of grasses is matching with the Coyote. I’m sure the horizontal frame you took is also as wonderful.
Cheers!

I like the vertical view. I know I would have presented it as a horizontal. As they say the best time to take a vertical is after a horizontal. Thanks for sharing and getting us thinking about processing.

Hi Keith,

A nice contemplative look that you captured. I would not change thing………………Jim