Coyote

Ridgefield NRW Washington state.
D800, F7.1 600MM
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wonderful image - exquisite detail , soft colours.
My only possible nit would be that the image might be more effective if the critter were off-center. I’d personally leave a lot more room on the left - or perhaps the right. Either would work.
Sandy

Great pose and detail in the Coyote, Dan. It looks to be in beautiful condition. I do think the lone grass blades on either side of the frame could go as both of them keep pulling my eye away from that neat face.

1 Like

Quoting Sandy, Wonderful image - exquisite detail , soft colours.
First I may add some canvas at bottom and then think, how to make it off centre.

First of all, this is a beautiful photo - wonderfully sharp subject and foreground and nice background. To me, the grasses on the sides are not distracting because the coyote is so compelling. They add more balance and framing. I have no issue with the position of the coyote in the frame. The eyes are off center “enough” and there’s a balance overall IMO. My tendency is not to crop animals at their joints but adding or subtracting anything at the bottom of course changes everything else and the foreground grasses mitigate any problems here. Although there might be other crops that also work, I think the photo works just fine the way you’ve presented it.

Nice detail and I like how you composed it against that clean, lighter background. The colors in this shot complement each other nicely.

In terms of crop/composition, it feels off to me as well. I could see Sandy’s suggestion of placing the coyote in the right third (i.e., cropping from right and expanding to include more canvas from the left) working, as the body stretches out in that direction anyway.

However, the blades of grass on the right and left Dennis mentioned are problematic, so I could also see a tighter square or vertical crop working quite well. It would eliminate the distractions and present a cleaner frame in which the subject received even more of the viewer’s focus.

Max