Cradle

Another one from my trip to the Sierra this past October. I have been fascinated with the light play on the Inyo Mountains on sunsets for a while. Perhaps a series will come out of this. As always, all feedbacks are welcome!

A panoramic crop, but the horizontal is full length. D500, 300mm + 1.4x TC, f/7.1, 1/250, ISO 250.

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I have to say Adhika, you have become a master of these telephoto extraction shots. I love the color palette you have used here. The sunlit area is not too saturated, rather it has an elegant, understated look. I also like the purple/magenta cast in the shadowed area, it’s not too cool or blue. You have really achieved a nice balance of colors here IMO.

I also like the relative proportions of light and shadowed areas used here, it works well for me. This is a nice “low volume” sunset image, made with a more subtle and nuanced approach than many sunset images. Very nicely done :+1: :+1: :+1:

Adhika,
I am a big fan of these types of telephoto scenes, almost abstract, but not quite. I love the shadows here, and as @Ed_McGuirk points out, the proportions of the light to shadow. The warm golden color is really very soothing and you presented it beautifully.
Very nice work.

Adhika,

Wonderful job of extracting this composition from the grander landscape.

Any suggestions I have are pure personal preference and not really meant as an improvement per se. I think you could exploit the warm, saturation and contrast a wee bit. While I think this is portrayed quite naturally, If it were mine I might bump things up a tad. If anything, I think increasing the separation between the shadowed foreground and the lit background might even enhance this a bit. But again, a matter of personal choice.

The important thing here is what you’ve seen and captured.

Lon

There are nice lines mixing through, and I like the lighting contrast. With that said, my personal preference is much stronger for your prior post with its dramatic focus. This one doesn’t flow as well to my eye.

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk, @Alan_Kreyger, @Lon_Overacker, and @John_Williams.

I think I see what you mean, John. To me, it’s a different emotion invoked here than the one by that spotlit tree. Perhaps it’s the abstract nature of the subject that Alan alluded on his comment. I am curious with Lon’s suggestion and will play with the color separation. Recalling our discussion on @Jim_McGovern’s recent image, I hesitate going cooler on the shadow areas. But it’s definitely worth fooling around with those sliders.