Creative Direction

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m curious how people will respond to the processing of this image. I’ve considered 2-3 different ways and haven’t settled on one yet.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Before I continue editing my dune images from Death Valley I need to lock in a creative direction. I’ve considered going with really cool silvery blue tones (of which I have a sample I may post later). The light was quite flat so I’ve tried to stay true to that in the image. Nothing is even close to black. We are very used to high contrast scenes of the dunes and instead of baking that contrast in after the fact I wanted to see the response to low contrast dune images.

Technical Details

312 mm, ISO 100, f/18, 1/125.

Specific Feedback

Emotional and Technical

1 Like

Honestly, not sure I can give a good response to processing without seeing alternatives… But OK – here goes. WB seems on the cool side for the intensity of the shadows, but that’s not unpleasant. The crop feels too tight at the top. At the bottom, the proximity of the near dune edge to the shadow feels a bit tight – maybe a few more steps forward?? But I really like the ripples, which have a very 3D feel. And I like the repeat of the three main shadow shapes.

OK – now I’ve read your comments – if your DV images are anything like mine, the sunlight is all over the place and I don’t know if there is a creative direction possible, except maybe monochrome, with composition being the defining element.

Hi David, the processing looks fine to me but it’s hard to say without the alternatives. There is good detail in the shadows. The whole images is a bit on the cooler side as Diane mentioned which looks good to my eyes. I also like the soft contrast look.

Regarding composition, there appears to be a subtle S curve starting from the bottom right, then to the left, up the center, and back around to the left up top. I do feel that the top and left edge are a bit tight. I do find the shapes created by the shadows a bit distracting. Thanks for sharing this.

This feels calm, gentle, and, quiet to me. I love the cool toned, high-key look which gives it that calm vibe. The one fly in the ointment, though, are those bits of light at the top edge of the frame. They introduce a bit of tension for me. Going with my initial reaction, I’m thinking a 16:9 crop of the bottom would give the image even more calmness. I tried it to see what it would look like. The crop makes the shadows feel like soft clouds coming down from the sky.

Off to read your comment…

My 2 cents: I LOVE! the low-contrast, cool look. Oh, and BTW, your details in the ripple textures are outstanding.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller @Alfredo_Mora and @Bonnie_Lampley

Thank you for taking the time to look and respond. I have posted a “companion” today (Creative Direction...Part 2) with another vision of a different composition. As you have pointed out, this image has it’s flaws compositionally and likely won’t make the cut. Sometimes I process images I know I’m throwing out because I’m not at all tied to them. I do like the 16x9 suggestion though from Bonnie. I have another frame that more strongly features that curve on the left side that I will probably roll with. It seems as though the softer contrast is a hit which is a win for me. I really didn’t wan’t to try to force that much contrast into the images. I’m now on to deciding on a color palette! Thank you for taking a peek!