Critique - Cathedral Rock in Sedona

Feel I’m probably missing some obvious issues with this image, since I’ve been staring at the details for far too long :):slightly_smiling_face:

Looking for any technical/artistic feedback that comes to mind.

Standing in the creek, and shot on a D850 using some manual focus stacking.

-Michael
@MichaelWilsonAZ

1 Like

Wow, this is a great first post with stunning colors, good detail and comp. I like the shutter speed of the water. I’m ambivalent about the saturation on the distant rocks, but I’m guessing it really does look like that in low light and it is a personal preference anyway. I look forward to seeing more, Michael.

1 Like

Appreciate that Kathy! Yea, something about the hue/color/sat seems a bit off.

I think the saturation on the distant rocks and vegetation is just right (personal preference), but not sure about the color of the rock in the bottom of the image. Does the color appear to be the same as you saw it?

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Michael! I like the comp and the soft light that you used. I think a couple small tweaks is all that’s needed. Below is an example of how I would modify it. The biggest change was darkening the sky to keep the eye drawn into the scene and bringing out detail in the clouds. I did this by creating a color selection in the TKPanel (highly recommended if you don’t have it) by selecting blues and then burning through that selection. The trees could also use some brilliance, so I selected the yellows and used that with a curves adjustment to brighten them up a bit. I also toned down the saturation for just the most saturated colors.

3 Likes

I do kind of like your edit, and the video is very helpful! Will do a bit more editing - Really appreciate that David!

1 Like

Thank you Jim! I see that - Will make slight edit there.

Michael, welcome to NPN. I do hope that you are completely satisfied here and find the site to be most helpful, while also finding it to be an opportunity to critique others’ photos, and learning from that experience as well. What a wonderful image for your first one. I love the leading line into the image. I also like what David did in his edit to your image. The video certainly was nice to help all of us to understand how he got there. Looking forward to seeing more of your work as well as your comments.

2 Likes

@Michael_Wilson Welcome to NPN Michael.

1 Like

Really appreciate that Gary :grin:

1 Like