Dead Trees 2

Dead trees from a beaver pond in New Hampshire. These trees remind me a lot of those in the thermal areas at Yellowstone NP. This is a followup to a recent post of mine, which had a much tighter view, not showing much of the reflection. Someone asked to see a version that showed more of the reflection, but then I got a nasty cold, and was out of commission for almost two weeks. So here is an alternate version with more reflection.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome. Does the mirror image reflection work for you?

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5D Mk IV, Canon 70-200mm f4 at 144mm, 1/6 sec at f16, ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful, Ed! Love the starkness of the trees and great reflection. You could probably boost the luminosity a bit but looks great as presented. I like this one a lot.

Thanks for the comments @Harley_Goldman, I agree with your comment on boosting luminosity, not sure how I missed that. Here is a re-work.

This is really nice, Ed. The dead trees and their reflections provide a strong graphic element. I went back and forth but think I definitely prefer the repost. A bit more dramatic. Fine as framed but I think I would take a bit off the right side. To my eyes it balances the composition even better.

Love this Ed and prefer this over your previous image. The comp is much more concise and I think the expanded inclusion of the reflection really make all the difference.

In addition to the luminosity, I think you could reduce the blue/cyan in the whites of the tree trunks even perhaps dropping the brightness of the trunks - ever so slightly. The blues are very subtle, but there. Something to consider, but minor.

Lon

The original is clearly a superior image. The OP composition was more complex while this one is more cliche but it’s the processing that was much superior. This feels overexposed with the white trunks and the image lacks the richness in color and texture. It’s just less compelling. The forest doesn’t speak here.

I have gone back and forth between the two and I prefer the original as I think the bump in luminosity makes the dead trunks just a touch to bright, Ed. Maybe something in between? I do like Dave’s crop as I think it adds better balance to the scene. I also like the fall color in the brush along the shoreline; it works rather nicely with the starkness of the dead tree trunks. Great reflection BTW.

Hard to choose between both versions, I think I prefer the original because there is a bit more of detail in the dead trees, but both are excellent.