Beaver Pond Reflection

While driving along a back road in New Hampshire, I came upon a small beaver pond that had a group of dead trees near the back edge of the pond. I liked the starkness of the trees contrasted against the warm autumn color of the grass along the shoreline. This scene also sort of reminded me of the dead trees I’ve seen in the thermal areas on my trips to Yellowstone NP.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments would be welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Excellent, Ed, and the reflected trunks round out the comp nicely. Looks like perfect Beaver territory. Somehow this image looks familiar to me (?)

Beautiful, Ed, and a very tranquil scene. I might crop the right a bit, just inside the far right tree along the shore. It seems to balance the comp a little more to my eye. But not a biggie at all, this makes for quite enjoyable viewing.

Ed, I would have guessed this scene to be in Yellowstone as you suggested. Really a nice setting and composition. The colors like spot on to my eye.

Ed,

Love, love, love the reflection of the trees. The contrast with the bald trunks and dark water is wonderful. The question I have, is there more? reflection that is? I’m assuming there were some compositional constraints at the bottom? I agree with Harley on a slight crop off the right; it’s a little darker and the reflection not as strong, so the eye kind falls over there.

Otherwise, this is a fabulous image.

Lon

This has such a lovely peaceful feel that is very inviting, Ed. The reflection is superb as are the graphic vertical lines of the trees framed in a horizontal format and the fall color in the brush along the shoreline is wonderful. Great looking image.

I too would vote for a small crop off the right and top, but that’s my only nit. I love the reflections and mix of colors Ed.

Thoroughly enjoying this scene and the reflections. Love the strong lines, composition and colors. I’m the odd man out about a crop. If I were to crop it all it would be from the left where the trunks tilt and cross each other. That would leave just the straight trunks throughout. But no crop would be my first choice.

The trees and their slightly OOF reflection create an interesting and pleasing composition.

Beautiful fall image Ed. Processed exceptionally well and not overdone. This actually reminds me of Quake Lake just outside of YNP. The trees there are haunting all these years after the quake.

Anyway, for perhaps a more abstract image you could try a panorama crop off the top, on the right as Harley suggested and even slightly on left. That might actually place more emphasis on the trees as a result of the vertical lines contrasting with the horizontal lines of the shore/fall foliage.

Wonderful scene, Ed, with gorgeous reflections, well done.