Marsh Pond Reflection

I composed this Autumn scene on a very calm early morning a few weeks ago. This State Park is 10 minutes from home and it is a favorite spot to explore.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Ant comments on color processing are appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any are appreciated. The foreground reflection, and crop off of the top to remove the white sky, turnoff this into a pano. There was also a single clump of distracting reeds in the white foreground reflection. Does this scene feel crowded?

Any pertinent technical details:

Single exposure, 100 iso, F11, 6 seconds, 6:35am

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful layers of color and nice reflection. In the small version, it seems kind of cut off at the top (as you said, to get rid of an ugly sky), but that seems to go away when looking at the color and detail rich large version. Processing looks good to my eye. Very enjoyable image.

Alan,

Ooooh, wow, what a fantastic autumn scenic. Such a diverse range of color and detail side to side, top to bottom. I hadn’t though the top was cut off at all and even after being mentioned I don’t think so. There is so much detail to explore and enjoy. I think this is outstanding. I especially like the line of reeds that basically center and ground the scene as well as define the line between the reflection and the real scene.

The only thing I’m unsure about is the dark area on the right. I think there is so much to enjoy with this scene throughout that you can afford possible to crop some off the right, although you lessen the pano look. The only other suggestion would be to drop the magenta saturation a little bit that I see in a couple of the tree trunks, bu that’s minor.

I’m thoroughly loving this one.

Lon

Alan, what as beautiful panoramic image. The variety of colors, shapes and textures is outstanding. I like the reeds along the shoreline, they add a nice element to the scene that helps to make the trees stand out. The composition has a very nice balance to it, which is critical for panoramic comps. I also like that you chose to not include all of the trees or their reflection, i think that helps to create a more abstract feeling to this. I agree with what Lon said about the dark area on the right, but that is a minor nit, this is a great image as presented.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Lon_Overacker and @Ed_McGuirk for your help. I will crop a bit from the right side and revisit the magenta saturation. The right side was one of my questions and am glad you pointed that out.

Alan, the colors in the land and their reflections look great here. One of the beauties of fall colors is how nicely they show on a cloudy/rainy day, when including the sky only adds a major distraction. I think some gentle burning-in of that central green tree would let the colors pull a bit more attention. The reflections are lovely.

Mark, thanks for your comments. I was wondering if someone would mention the green tree. It’s the one thing that bothers me the most in the scene. I intend to do some burning-in of that tree.