Red Maples @ Night

I have worked on this a couple of times and thought I would put it out there for your thoughts. The weather during my stay in Acadia this year was strange with all the wind. This particularly evening it was dead calm after sunset and with a very windy day forecast for the following day I thought I might try and catch some color before it was gone. This was taken at Eagle Lake about 40 minutes after sunset. The colors still look a little neon, but they do not bother me as it is a little different than the usual daytime take from this particular spot. Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 116 mm, f 16 @ 8 sec, ISO 800, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I quite like this, Ed. The reflection is wonderful. The reds look nice, but I wondering if bringing down their saturation just a wee bit would also work. I do wish that the left-most maple wasn’t cut off, but you may have had no choice due something in the background.

The contrast looks great, and the scene is quite peaceful. You certainly took advantage of the calm hours.
-P

I think it worked well, nice idea…
The reflection is awesome.

Ed, A beautiful scene! I really like the grasses in the foreground and that little bit of extra interest they create.

This is really nice and I like the color. I might consider cropping a little off the bottom, but overall a nice image.

Real beautiful, Ed. Love the rich, bold colors. Framing looks good to me as does the processing. I might do a slight burn at the top of the frame.

Stunningly beautiful exposure. I like the shimmering colours reflected in the water. I think the reds in the middle of the frame do need to be desaturated slightly as they are also being emphasised by the green and dark background here.

I wholeheartedly agree. The softening from your longer exposure really makes it for me. You have me thinking of all sorts of long exposure reflections now, and that’s a great thing! Thanks!

This is sweet, Ed. I would agree with a bit of desaturation as mentioned, but minor stuff. A beautiful view.

Very nice autumn scene, Ed. I agree about cropping the bottom keeping the water grass and red reflection just below. The darkness under the Maples and reflected black is stronger for me than the soft reflections further down image. I am a little uncomfortable with the cutoff tree, but that is minor,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone. Here is a repost addressing your suggestions with the exception of Preston and Stephen’s concern of the tree on the left being cutoff. I had some reservations when originally framing the composition, but unfortunately there was a gap in the trees where a section of the sky showed through. Looking back I probably should have taken another shot with the possibility of maybe cloning someth

ing in the bare spot.

Ed, the re-post helps to add a lot of life to this scene. I love what the long exposure has done to the water. Also, you are very fortunate that there was no wind, the leaves on the trees came out pretty sharp for an 8 second exposure. Sometimes you just have to take a chance on really long exposures, and this one certainly paid off for you.

Beautiful autumn image Ed. This may be sacrilegious… but despite the beauty of the reflection, I’m going to suggest cropping some off the bottom. Why? Well, for one thing, the plants sticking out of the water both right and left I think actually add to the overall scene, but their importance is reduced by including more of the reflection. Also to me, the trees up top are the primary story. I guess either give more emphasis to the top, OR more emphasis to the reflection. Not sure if that makes sense.

Would agree with others a bit on saturation, but I think dropping the magenta in the water might be good. I’m also kinda wishing for more up top, but I suspect there was a good reason for cropping in to the tops of the trees (like emphasizing the reflection?)

Lon

Ed, the focus on the reds and their reflections in the quiet waters look great. This is very calming to look at with that patch of grass sticking out of the water on the left at neat surprise. I like the full expanse of reflection as that add to the sense of calm.