Beaver Dam Pond

This image is from a very productive hour that my brother and I spent shooting at Beaver Dam Pond in Acadia NP in October of 2019. I always make it a point to stop at this location whenever I am in Acadia, particularly in the fall. An added bonus is that most people just drive on by and the ones that do stop are usually only there long enough to grab their selfie.

This particular morning was a little different as we even had a photo group decide to stop when they noticed us shooting the light mist gliding over the calm waters of the pond. I reworked this image a little and thought I would post it and see what you thought. I know I posted a couple from this shoot last year, but I do not think this was one of them.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought as they are always appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

I love case studies of a scene over time and would love to see other times you captured the scene as well! The conditions here are incredible. It certainly is easy to understand why others stopped after seeing what you had your camera pointed at. The color and atmosphere really keeps the attention well. I would be curious to see a square crop of the left side where the majority of interest is anyways. This might help to balance the image a bit as well, but I will also say that a slightly heavy image one way or the other can work when careful about where the main subject lands. If you have more versions documenting the seasons it would be a fun series to display together, and the image seems to work to my eye as captured compositionally and processing wise. Very nicely done!!

Ed, this looks really good to me. Love the mood with the fog and great color. No suggestions here.

Very nice mood, the large image is a bit soft, some sharpening would look good, I think a bit more of the reflection would also look good.

This images looks good to me too Ed. I like that you included the beaver hut to add to the nature story here. I also like that you took the waterline off-center, that reflection is interesting enough to get more play here.

In the comments on my recent Mt. Moosilauke post, some folks thought that the background foggy areas could benefit from more color saturation, to better balance the saturation against the fall foliage that was not in the fog. I thought that doing so helped my image. I think there may be some parallels here, and could see a slight boost in vibrance or saturation of the colors in the reflection.

You captured that morning well, Ed. I like the off center placement of both the den and the water line. Colors are also excellent. I don’t see the softness that Dan mentioned.