Beaver Dam Pond

This little lovely pond is always worth a stop while in Acadia. I can always find something a little different from prior stops, but the hour Mike and I spent there this particular morning was out of this world. The mist was magical and I came away with a dozen different comps which I consider to be keepers. I should have had more, but sometimes I get caught up in the moment and don’t consider all my options until later.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 105 mm, f 16 @ 2 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is beautiful. Minor suggestion, maybe burn the bright red tree upper left edge? Otherwise, the processing and image look great. Love the mist and the mood it creates.

Top notch. The color is great. The processing is great. Subject is great. Refection is great. The beaver lodge is a nice addition to this fine image. I would clone out the tiny spec that looks like dust in the middle of the water. I looked in the trees to see a corresponding spot but couldn’t see it. There is a dark patch up there but it looks larger and doesn’t line uop
:vulcan_salute:

Ed,

Gorgeous. Easy to think why you might have had quite a lot of keepers here. The hovering mist of course really elevates this one. And that little beaver Air BnB is a nice touch and eye rest for the sea of autumn color.

I think it’s pretty rare to make a processing suggestion with your images, but I had a faint sense that this the mist looked a little red/magenta-ish. I pulled it in and tried @Ed_McGuirk Curves “auto option” color/WB technique - and a second method simply using a Selective Color layer on the neutrals and dropped the magenta -5 pts. Very subtle and of course personal preference.

Other than that dust spot thing that Michael eagle-eyed, no nits or other suggestions from me.

Lon

This is absolutely gorgeous, Ed. A stunningly good image. I like this a lot more than your previous mist shots and I can’t tell what made the difference. Perhaps this has just the right amount of mist.

Ed, I really like this one. I have a fav of my own that has a beaver hut in it too. Mine does not have an amazing BG full of color and also a perfect layer of mist like this very fine scene though. Might be one of your best. That is saying a lot of course with all your other extremely fine posts to date…:+1:

Wonderful image, Ed. Classic NE fall wilderness scene. Composition and processing look spot on to me.

There’s a lot to appreciate here Ed, this image has a really nice soft gentle mood to it, the mist is wonderful. It looks like to had a productive trip to Acadia despite all the rain and wind that week. I also like the inclusion of the Beaver hut, it takes everything up a notch above the typical fall reflection image. I also love the reflection of the birches in the water, they add a nice touch to the image. Well done sir.

New England autumn in all its splendor. I am really enjoying this Ed. The mist is wonderful adding a nice dreamy feel to the reflection. The beaver lodge is icing on the cake.

Ed, This is wonderful. Beautiful photography!

Thanks everyone @Harley_Goldman, @Michael_Lowe, @Lon_Overacker, @Igor_Doncov, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Ed_McGuirk, @Eva_McDermott and @Nick_Bristol For your kind words and suggestions. Always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions.
@Michael_Lowe: good catch on the dust spot; I completely missed it.
@Lon_Overacker: as suggested I dialed back the red 5 points and I like the result. I do have a habit of favoring warm tones in my images.
Here is a repost with your suggestions.

1 Like