Deep Cold

I’ve always been enthralled by photos of ice bubbles that you see in the Canadian rockies or other exotic-to-me places, but have never actually traveled to one of those places in the winter. Last winter in Madison, Wisconsin, we had a few days of below 0F in a row with no snow. One of the lakes in the city froze quite deeply, but was still clear of snow so you could see right down through the ice. I went out with a friend on a 0F day and had a lot of fun shooting bubbles right in my hometown.

5 Likes

Brent, Ice abstracts are a favorite of mine and those include the bubbles. While I see tiny bubbles regularly in the ice on my backyard ponds here in MD, I rarely see this fine of a collection and never this much depth in the ice. You’ve got an outstanding collection of nicely distinct bubbles with excellent sharpness throughout. The overall blue tone is nicely chilly with the few bubbles glinting in the sun nicely sprinkled throughout the image. The two ice lines add some extra interest.

This is excellent! Great array of fascinating bubbles and the blue really pops. Great stuff.

Brent, on the Gulf Coast I NEVER see such scenes, so this is just way too cool! What’s fascinating to me is that from your angular POV the bubbles can be seen at such distinctly different stages of depth. This is really a terrific abstract study that illustrates science and yet almost evokes science fiction. Unlike Mark I would prefer it without the big cracks, largely for more of an abstract approach. What a find!

This is a thoroughly fascinating scene, Brent. The cool blue tones work beautifully as does the array of bubbles lying below the surface of the ice. Great find on this one.

Super cool (pun not intended) shot, Brent! I love the abstract and the cool blue color. Well seen and captured in the 0F temps. Brrrr!

We never see scenes like this in northwestern California, either. Very cool! I like your composition with the two curvy lines cutting across the bottom part of the frame. They add an horizon-like line through the frame.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it! If I had my choice I probably would have opted to not have the cracks at the bottom, but this was the best framing I could find :slight_smile:

That is a really neat descriptor, thanks @Bill_Leggett !

Marvelous image Brent. Love the fine detail and color. But what really captures my attention is the abstract nature of the overall composition.

1 Like

Wonderful ice abstract Brent. I love the depth and clarity.

1 Like

Love this!
Congrats on the EP!
Sandy

1 Like

Wonderful abstract, with great colors, shapes and textures. I’ve always wondered if I could stay warm enough to take a photo like this. You’ve done a great job with this one. Good way to make somethiing good happen on a very cold day.

1 Like

This is a fantastic shot Brent! I love the colors and how cold they look and feel. Great job on the composition too! All the bubbles creating leading lines that lead up to the top edges of the image really works!

I hope to visit those frozen lakes in Banff one day too.

1 Like

Really love this especially those horizontal lines on the lower part of the frame. Those lines really add something to the photo…nice work.

1 Like

Thank you Anil, Eva, Sandy, Kathy, Luiz, and Renee! Looks like most people think ice bubbles are really cool, like I do.

Maybe a little late, but a funny story about this image - a friend wanted to buy a 24x36" canvas of this, so I ordered one online. A week later I got a call from a guy in “Brooklyn” saying that a package arrived for me that seems like it contains a painting. I asked if he meant Brooklyn, Wisconsin (a tiny town I live near, and is at least in the same county as where the print was ordered). “No… Brooklyn, New York.” :laughing: I had him open it and it was this canvas. I called the company and they shipped another one, but I told the guy he could just keep the canvas. He looked me up on IG and commented on this image that it was good enough to hang is his house, and then I saw on his profile that he is a nature photographer too! So everyone’s happy, except for probably the company that had to print two large canvases. :laughing:

1 Like