Deeper still

When I lived in NH I discovered several protected stands of Atlantic White Cedar. Southern NH is the most northern extent of the tree’s range and so it was a treat to find them. This one was particularly special because not only is there an AWC swamp, but a kettle bog as well. The difference between the two environments is immediately recognizable - the trees and other plants that grow in these two ecosystems are quite different.

This is the cedar swamp. Accessible by boardwalk, but with a couple of little side trails that are firm enough to be walked and were sanctioned and pointed out by the folks who maintain the site and that’s where this shot is from. When I first saw it I was so enchanted that I had to just sit and soak it in. Finding a good composition was a bit of trial and error and I also hauled a pretty big dead tree out of the scene by tipping it in the opposite direction so it no longer intruded into the shot. The moss is amazing here and I’ve never seen such a complete carpet of it like this.

Specific Feedback Requested

Managing the intense green was a challenge - it was deep, rich and totally saturated with water so VERY green. I wanted to convey that and the overall softness of the scene.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and polarizer

Lr for initial RAW processing - pulled down blacks and highlights and exposure. Increased whites and shadows a bit. Several masks to manage overall luminosity and focus attention to the center of the image. Transform tool to straighten trees and correct some perspective. Color sliders shifted to create a more natural look and progression of shadows. Photoshop to remove a distraction or two.

@the.wire.smith

I’m trying to catch up again and just saw this. The green carpet is amazing – my kind of place – and I think you did a very good job with the emerald greens. The sprinkling of fallen leaves is a nice touch. Kudos for the fallen tree removal!