Delegation

This January, I took a series of images at this location. I really like the emotions these little truncated stumps can bring to the surface. They can fool you into thinking they’re alive.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

What do you feel, if anything?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
I think it was a 4 image focus stack, 5D Mk4, Sigma 100-400 @ 129mm, f/8, 1/160s

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I prefer this composition to ‘Refugees’. It’s creepier. They’re more threatening.

I really like this and it is perfect for the approaching Halloween. It has a most haunting look to it. Processing looks spot on and quite surreal. Excellent image.

Definitely made me click the thumbnail. Very intriguing image; they do seem alive, or resting at least! I like how the trees on the edges ‘embrace’ the scene in the middle.

Gary, your view of these “things” would make a great intro to a horror movie. They totally look like they’d walk around as soon as you turn your back. The fading into grey with the far treeline adds well to the scene. I see eyes and a mouth inside the one on the right…

I like the framing of this image a bit more than your previous post. First because it has a bit more depth from the more prominently featured stump in the foreground. I also like how the background trees frame the overall scene and places less emphasis on the sky.

Gary,

Ooooohhhhh, very cool, very unique. Certainly a most uneasy mood about this - going along with some other comments. I’m wondering if a slight sepia treatment might just even make this seem ancient…

Arizona? nah.

Lon

1 Like

This is beautiful. After reading the other comments I had to take a look at the other photo you took of this place as well.
I don’t think one is better than the other, both very good and similar looking but at the same time very different.

Can’t think of anything I would change, maybe the amount of grey, but that might also be the thing that makes this photo.

Gary, a wonderful finished image throughout. A salute goes out to you for finding this unique subject in the field as a photographic opportunity. Not everyone would see this scene as the gem it really is. As already stated it provides an eerie feeling both in subject and the final processing…well done…:sunglasses:

Oooh, this is so very cool, and sort of creepy. I love your treatment of it. A sepia tone might be nice, as Lon suggested.