Spooky?

Again ,just along the walking road in the dunes near my home.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
F11, Iso 320, 24-70 at 36mm, nikon D850

Hi Ben … thanks for posting your image. I really like the composition and that you’ve ignored the rule of thirds and split the image into two elements … the trees above and the grass/shrubs below. The light and color on both halves works really well. The sidelight picks out the grasses and gives them some depth and shape. The sidelight also allows the major subject tree and and a few of its neighbors to stand out from the crowd in the background. Cropping so much of the trees out of the photo was a brave move … but I think it works very well.

Yes, spooky. The way you divided the frame makes the foreground grasses feel as if they are underground, and ghosts could rise up from below at any moment. It would be even more spooky if the color palette was cooler. Well seen, as usual.

Ben,
The horizontal pano format suites that tree perfectly and the color palette of earth tones works beautifully. I love the character of the long graceful limbs of the tree. I also like the fact that you placed the tree a little left of center. You titled this Spooky?, but I find it very inviting with the warm light in the scene. I think this would make for an excellent subject with differing lighting conditions. A dark rainy day with some fog would make this spooky and mysterious. Just a thought; enough of my rambling.

I agree with @Jon_Norris this was a brave decision to crop the tree so tight, but it really does work well. The warm light and colors are very appealing and inviting, which makes it hard for me to label the mood of this as Spooky.

If creating a Spooky mood was your intent, here is one possible interpretation that maybe gets you there. B&W makes the tree look more sinister.

2 Likes

Ed’s rework works well for me by highlighting some of the lighter areas in the lower section. Perhaps the colored version could be similarly processed.

I couldn’t decide about the title, therefore the question-mark.I am glad @Bonnie_Lampley felt too that spooky thing. @Ed_McGuirk , your rework makes a different image. And as for @Igor_Doncov it works for me. I did also play with the B&W before posting.
Again there are many possibilities in one image. And also as @Jon_Norris says about ignoring the rules.
@Ed_Lowe At your advice I will surely return to this place by other weather conditions.
Many thanks to you all !!