Desert Dream

When we get a cold morning after a rain we can sometimes have some desert fog. If there is a chance I try and get to the local municipal park and see what it looks like. For this image I hiked up a ridge to get above the fog and shot down. This is cropped at the top because there is a hill past the fog and I didn’t want to show anything past the fog to try and keep it mysterious looking.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All comments welcome. I am wondering if it is an interesting shot or is it just my excitement with the fog and the saguaros.

Technical Details

ISO 100 400 mm f/10 1/6sec cropped to 16x9

2 Likes

A different view of the desert. Very nice image.

This is pretty cool, Steve. Processing looks good and it’s certainly a worthy subject. I likely would have been tempted to frame this tighter, eliminating the foreground where not much is happening, and putting more attention on the fog shrouded saguaros in the midground. I also think as an alternative, a more intimate composition with a single saguaro - or maybe just 3 or 4 - might have been quite interesting. What an amazing spectacle to witness!

I think this is a very interesting shot Steve! Well done! I agree with Bret in cropping the foreground, processing looks good too.

I think you did a good job of showing the mystery, Steve. I happen to like the extra detail in the foreground and how it fades into the fog with the saguaro’s peeking through. The one benefit that I see in cropping out the first ridge is that it emphasizes the big “triangle” of cacti running from left to right.

I would be excited about saguaros and fog too! I like how we can see the horizontal lines in the fog. It seems like there are a lot of potential compositions here from the wide to small groups, lines or shapes made by the cacti, etc.

Thank you Ronald.

Hi Bret, thanks for your feedback. I think I’ll try square crop with just a few saguaros.

@Glenn_Tunaley @karlag @Mark_Seaver

I’m still learning the ropes of the site so trying a multi reply. Thanks for viewing and commenting on my image. I appreciated all your comments. I will try a few other crops and see how I like them.

Karla, I also liked the horizontal lines in the fog so that is what landed me on a 16x9 crop. The scene when I was there felt like the recent rain watered seedling saguaros and they are popping thru the fog layer.

1 Like