Desert grass

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this from a (slow) moving Jeep on a tour of the Sonoran Desert in Arizona this last March. I was drawn to the sweeping grass covering the ground. The light was pretty harsh as it was mid-afternoon already so I converted it to a monochrome image to soften the scene and keep the focus on the depth in the vegetation.

Technical Details

Sony A6600, E 18-135, ISO 100, f/10 1/400 sec
RAW image post processing in LR.

Derika, That grass is really interesting. It appears to be pretty windy or is the grass movement from the motion of the Jeep? You have created a nice composition that is enhanced by the direction of the grass and the curve in the horizon line. The sky also leads down into the desert. I am a big desert fan and enjoy cacti of all types, especially saguaros that are getting endangered by human mistreatment.
Excellent image.

Thank you @Larry_Greenbaum! From what I remember, there may have been a breeze but the grass was mostly laying that way. I think that’s what drew me to it…how it appeared to flow like water.

Hi Derika, Nice, open feel to this image. BW suites this scene. The sage (I think) at the bottom left, with the implied movement in the grasses, leads the eye up and to the right into the frame. Well done. I like the separation of the cacti, giving the scene a sparse, open feel. The very tall, iconic cactus is the star of the show, place well in the frame. Excellent composition of a complicated area.
Excellent submission.

Thank you very much Tony! I appreciate your feedback and the time you took to review each submission!

Thanks you, Derika. It is my pleasure.