Desert Spring

Bonnie’s version:

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the way the wood fibers and flowers work together. I don’t know what could be improved. I was not happy when I tried to make the image brighter. I suppose some of those small white flowers near the edge could be eliminated.

Creative direction

The only thing I’m trying to convey is aesthetic beauty here.

Specific Feedback

I’m just looking for an overall sense of whether you like this or not.

Technical Details

This was shot at an iso 2000 and 1/200 sec because I detected some movement. It was also focus stacked. I have no idea how Heliconfocus was able to merge all the files without ghosting.

Description

Due to the rains this year the sagebrush had lots of flowers. I thought it would be a good idea to compose the twisted stems together with some flowers. It was raining during my search so all the wood was dark. This group was the best I could find. I waited for the wood to dry after it stopped raining. But by then the sun had come out and the light was all wrong and a breeze came up. I waited until the sun had descended below the hill and made the shot. The slight movement was handled by I high shutter speed and a high iso. This was the second shot. The first composition looked like a winner but for some reason doesn’t look as good. Maybe I’ll work on it some more.

5 Likes

IGOR, This image is Sooo beautiful in a great composition is all I can say about it !!

This an excellent desert scene, Igor. I find it aesthetically very pleasing. The contrast between the living and dead is what this scene is all about. The variety, color, and brightness of the live plants overtakes the stark reality of the dead plant or tree structure… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do like this. To me it has strong composition and nice color contrast.

This is a wonderful image Igor. To me it is all about the contrasts - the juxtaposition of the colorful flowers and the gray dead wood. Your composition is well balanced.

I think that this is amazing and looks like a floral arrangement (made by nature)! Beautifully seen and composed to perfectly show off the beauty.

What a beauty, Igor. A superb find and a very aesthetic rendering from colors to comp . No, not too many white flowers, they are sprinkled very well. This seems more illustration than photo. Awesome image.

I think that is due to the flat light mostly. A diffuse light would have provided more 3 dimensionality to all the objects. As I recall that light made the overall impression busier, more distracting. The wet earth also diminished some of that busyness by darkening it and diminishing texture. The quality of light greatly changes the appearance of this composition.

This is so well seen, Igor. I knew it was yours immediately. The flat light does allow all the subtle colors to pop. What about bringing up the highlights only? I tried that and thought it livened it up a bit. Here’s my idea:

1 Like

Thank you Bonnie. I have placed your version next to the original for comparison. I’m going to give it some time to consider the changes. I had considered this before as well but was concerned that the wood does not overdominate the flowers which it can easily do.

This is simply a lovely intimate landscape, Igor. The composition is well done, the balance of colors and what is included works really well. I am in agreement with you about whether Bonnie’s version would make the wood more dominant. While it’s hard to judge that for all of us on our various laptops or desktop screens, only you can make that decision. My first thought is that it might be somewhere in between the two images. Yours seemed a tad bit flat, but Bonnie’s may be a little bit too bright in terms of the wood. Still, I love this image a lot and congratulate you for finding such a lovely desert scene.

Living in a dry desert climate myself, eastern WA, I can really appreciate this shot. We have the sage brush and some spring flowers. I always love the texture, and you have captured it wonderfully with the flowers for color. A beautiful scene all the way around. I am in love with it!