Desert Varnish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Canyon wall on Lake Powell. The water had been higher, now lower than when picture was taken.

Technical Details

Nikon COOLPIX 8700

What a great image. I like it a lot its colors, texture and patterns, and the differing part! One idea could be to crop even more tightly to emphasize the above. A quick example is given below.

This is a lovely section of canyon wall, Teri. I can see the crop @Ola_Jovall came up with, but I also like this as posted. I don’t know what processing software you’re using, but this is the kind of image that is just fun to play with to bring out colors and tones in different ways.

1 Like

Beautiful textures and color in this image Teri! That spot with the unique shape and darker warm tones really anchors the image. The lines in the rock wall help lead the eye towards it. The vertical lines from the desert varnish create intersecting lines. Well done! I could this cropped a number of ways but I I like it as presented.

1 Like

Thank you Alfredo. I have been caught up with taking the image, cropping and enhancing colors… and that was the extent of my “tinkering”. I am picking up amazing ideas from this forum, and with editing apps l will really expand my horizon (no pun intended). I wouldn’t mind seeing your editorial changes, please feel free!

Where will l find images that other members have worked on?

Teri, are you asking where you can find suggested revisions of your photo from the other members? We typically add the revision in our posts when critiquing. Did you see the revision from Ola?

I did Alfredo, please excuse my confusion. And l do like the tighter composition of Ola’s suggestion. Its becoming frustrating working with my Galaxy phone and apps, as small screens and fat fingers makes for tedious work.

Thank you Ola for your example of cropping with my image. I do like the tighter framing as you suggest. I had my image larger as l was trying to balance the lighter L lower corner with the darker R upper corner. And again, tighter cropping could still enhance my view.

Again, thank you.

Teri,

Great find - very unique. My very first impression was that of a petroglyph or pictograph.

I can see a crop also as suggested. And what that does is remove some of the details in the open area that suggests a rock wall. Otherwise, I’m hard pressed to figure out if this is rock, a tree trunk, or what. So there is a sense of abstract mystery here - especially what caused or what is that primary shape?

Excellent capture and presentation.

Lon