DOF Challenge

Since the time I decided to use the Raynox DCR250. I have always ended up in mixed frame of mind with the results.
This one for example. The branch and the leaf on which this jumping spider had built the house was shaky, low light. getting the desired dof has not always been easy. I see that his snap on lens works very effectively on my 70-200.
The little spider seems to have just shed its skin .:wink:

7D, 70 200 Lens
ISO 400, 1/60, F9 - Focal Length 113 MM.

Balan, the eyes of this spider stand out very well. The hair also shows well, indicating that your lens has high resolution capabilities. Your Raynox looks like an improved (multi-element) version of the Close-up adapter lenses (single element). I used close-up adapter lenses for many years when I wanted to get magnification of more than life size. They worked reasonably well, but showed significant loss of sharpness near the frame edges. I don’t see any loss of sharpness near the edges here when I look at the strands of web in the upper left corner of where the web touches the frame on the left and right. At such high magnification, your dof is extremely limited. For example at 1:1 (lifesize) magnification the dof for f/16 is 1.6 mm. At f/8 (close to your f-stop here), dof is 0.8 mm. If you want to read more about dof, here’s a web site that has good info. http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/depth_of_field.html