Dots and dashes

Image Description

While it could have been shot anywhere, I found this bit of peeling birch at the Cascades River State Park in Minnesota. I loved the colors and textures as well as how the bark is curling down. Birches are one of the trees I regularly touch when I see them peeling this way. Anyone else who has done it knows what the bark feels like in this photo. So smooth and somehow satiny, too. With just a hint of roughness. Can’t you just feel the lines of dots raised just above the white background? Like Braille. Curls this thin feel silky and dry, slightly crusty at the edges. Contrast how the thicker and probably older curl above it would feel. Stiffer and waiting for the next cycle of growth so it can add a ribbon to is finery.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Most of my photos are just about the “oh neat” side of nature. Small scenes and worlds that catch my eye so I try to show them with at least a bit of artistic flair.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for some work w/white balance and masking to get the tonalities nice and smooth, like the bark itself. The colors are delicate and I really like the slight blue tinge in the whites.

1 Like

Just love birch trees Kris and I have two big ones in my yard. The paper birch bark was actually used by Native Americans. Your reference to Morse code is right on. I like your chosen composition showing how it peels off naturally, contrasted against the smoothness of the remaining bark, so that the two different textures are emphasized.