Dunlin Feeding

Whit all this lockdown in place I have been revisiting some old photos and finding somer I had passed over before.
This is one on those, so I would be grateful for any comments.
From memory, this was last year, I spent quite some time trying to sneak up which wasn’t easy on a flat beach on the Island of

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Neil. Birds look nice and sharp. Exposure looks spot on.

As for a critique, I don’t have a real sense of connection for a few reasons. One is because we’re not making eye contact with any of the birds. Two is because you’re a bit of a ways away. And three is because I prefer to shoot at eye level. If possible, I always try and get on the bird’s level. IMO, it provides for a more intimate view and connection.

A nice behavioral image of the Dunlin’s feeding, Neil. It can be hard to sneak up on them. The easiest trick is to be somewhere with reasonable tidal variations and let the incoming tide drive them up to where you’re waiting. While Lyle makes a good point about lack of connection, I’d certainly hang on to an image like this. Sometimes I’ll be putting together some kind of presentation and I’ll want a simple behavioral image that’s not a flashy image.

Thanks guys,appreciate the feedback. I was trying to make a kind of arty photo of the birds as opposed to a strait shot hence the space around them.

Hi Neil, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this species so it’s an interesting shot for me. I agree with the critiques above. Nice to get all three birds as sharp as you did.

Thanks Allen it’s a circumpolar sub Arctic breeding species so depending where you are not easy to see. Not a good shot to show just how pretty they can be