Dusk at Grand Marais Harbor

Grand Marais on Minnesota’s north shore of Lake Superior is an entry point to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and is the closest significant town to the Canadian border on Minnesota’s arrowhead. Simplicity is the primary feature of this image.

What technical feedback would you like if any

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D500, Tokina 24-70mm lens at 58mm, 1/3 sec, f8

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hello Larry, I like this nice and simple image. My suggestion would be cloning the green light and its reflection as I think it doesn’t go with the rest of the blue/dark mood of the image.

This has a lovely melancholy mood. I like the green light and reflection on the right. It might have been better if the light itself had been in a clear space, and not intersecting the outer breakwater. As it is, that intersection creates an obvious shape, right on the edge of the frame, giving that area more weight than is needed.

Thanks for looking at and commenting on my image, Saikat. I think the green light and reflection are important elements of the image. I appreciate your commenting. Larry

HI Bonnie, I see what you mean about the intersection with the breakwater, but that is just the way it is. Any other point of view would have resulted in an entirely different image. There are always a number of options in composing images. It’s the balance between the people and lighthouse on the left breakwater and the birds and light an the right that make the image for me. Thanks for your comments. It’s critiques like yours that help in effective visualization.

I really like the inclusion of the two people on the side of the image as they add a really nice sense of scale! I don’t know if it would even be reasonably possible but if this were my image, I would have tried to shoot it from a slightly higher vantage point so that the green light on the right wasn’t visually merging with the breakwater behind it.

Thanks for your visit and comment, Tom. There was not any way of getting higher up here - good thought though. All is flat, and the light was quickly fading.