E Sierra fall storm clouds and distant mountains

A storm was coming in in Oct 2021 with the first snow in the E Sierras and rain at lower elevations. I found an interesting foreground and storm clouds forming with rain starting in the distance.

Specific Feedback Requested

just feedback

Technical Details

shot with Sony A-1 and 16-35mm GM Sony lens at f16 and 1/160 sec, ISO 100 on tripod

1 Like

Hi Larry,
I bet that was a nice scene to check out. I don’t think the bright sun in upper left adds much since the light isn’t hitting the landscape at all or providing a link to the light - so I would probably exclude that with a crop (or better yet in the field with a longer focal length). The bottom left doesn’t really provide much visually but dominates a lot of the scene. The rabbit brush on mid right is nice and might be good to emphasize that a bit. Cheers.

I have another composition which might be an improvement. Same area, camera and similar settings.

While both are beautiful, I prefer the second. Although it does not have the same dark, stormy appearance as the first, there is no bright area in the clouds, and I find the foreground and sky much more interesting.

Larry,

Wow, what a difference between the two images - almost night and day!

I like your original post. It does appear a bit dark and from what I can tell, the sun is pretty much absent on the scene - except of course in the clouds! This probably caused the underexposure on the land. I think you could brighten the foreground a bit if you’re inclined and fits your experience. also, my personal preference on these tall digital verticals is to not be so tall. I think you could either crop off the top and bring more emphsis on the foreground, OR the opposit, crop the bottom , let the rabbit brush anchor the scene and let the drama in the clouds take center stage.

The second image is wow, dynamic and quite beautiful - a striking image and classic Eastern Sierra. IMHO it’s a little on the saturated side, but not by too much and certainly within the realm of personal preference. But love the light and the composition of this one. If anythinng, the only suggestion I have would be a slight crop from the right to remove some of the dead brush and put the vibrant rabbit brush just a bit more off center. I’m really enjoying this one and it brings me there and makes me want to be there.

Lon

Hi Larry, this is a very cool scene. I love the sky, clouds, and rays of light. As others have said it is a bit dark in the foreground. I think the crop suggestion works well too. Here’s a quick crop and lightening of the foreground, I hope you don’t mind the example:

I like your second image too, but I think it presents an entirely different feeling, both are really good.

Hope to see more of your work soon, Larry.