Eagle On The Rocks

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I was thinking in terms of a sculpture relief type of presentation.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The rock formation was an image from along Park Avenue trail in Arches National Park. The eagle was taken at Lock 13 along the Mississippi River in Iowa. The eagles hang out there when the weather is cold enough in January because the water in the lock is a bit warmer and hunting is easier for them.

Technical Details

Camera settings etc. are not available for this multiple image composite. Created the composite in Photoshop by selecting the previously edited eagle and dragging him over to the previously edited rock image and adjusting the opacity of the eagle layer.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

A wonderful idea!! Lowering opacity is usually not the most sophisticated way to get a blend, though. Try some of the blend modes on the eagle layer – usually Soft Light or Overlay works best. Then group a curves adjustment layer to the bird for tonal tweaks. Often also a Hue-Saturation layer is needed for the top layer.

This image took me back to the timeless history among the huge rocks in Utah. One can see some of the petroglyphs carved by native peoples centuries ago. In this image, the overlaid eagle seems like one of the images that would have been carved in the rocks. The placement of the open wings along the curved rock makes the eagle blend well with the lines of the rock.

Thank you, Ann for the kind words.Bob

I did this a long time ago and today might well have used the techniques you suggested. Thank you, Diane. Bob

Wow, I really love this! I’m going to have to remember it and try on my own photos. Beautiful work, and love the color!

Thank you so much for your kind words, Judi. It’s a fairly simple technique I wish you well. Bob

This almost has a spiritual aspect to it Bob. Like @annlouiselyman says it looks like a petroglyph type marking on the canyon walls from the ancients. Your eagle is really cool. The wall is great. Nice blend.

Thank you Ed. Your kind comment and Ann’s have enabled me to view this image in a different way and I agree there is a spiritual aspect to it. Bob