Early Morning Shooting Stars

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is from the spring of 2020. It’s one of my favorite early spring wildflowers and this happened to be a good year for it. I found this isolated specimen in our prairie. I believe I posted this in the Flora forum about that time.

Specific Feedback

I blurred the background in this image considerably. Does it show?

Technical Details

Canon 5DIII, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, tripod, f/25, 1/200, iso 800, manual exposure, manual focus. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to 2250x3000. Taken March 31, 2020 at 7:25 AM.

Hi, Dennis. I love the complementary colors in this beautiful triad. Leave it to nature to create such beautiful balance. The softness you achieved, whether intentional or not, is captivating. As for the specific question about the background, I have not seen the original post in the Flora forum. However, it is evident to me that the BG is blurred very well to avoid any distractions. I especially like the subtle diagonals throughout that BG. It’s a beautiful image.

Wow!! Wonderful capture, with the 3 buds in different stages. The BG does feel a little artificially blurred, but that’s not a bad thing – make that intentionally blurred. It makes the flower jump out in 3D.

A trick I will sometimes use is to blur less at the base and more toward the top, which makes it feel a little more natural.

2 Likes

Hi Dennis, one of the neat things about NPN is the variety of flora I would otherwise never see. Your BG blurring is kind of noticeable but works well to set off these beautiful flowers. The soft lighting brings out the pastels nicely and your cropped comp fills the frame vertically, as it should for this specimen. Love all the fine details when enlarged.