Shooting Star

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I tried taking pictures of these plants yesterday with my Sony 70-200 macro. While it focuses plenty closely enough I didn’t find the focus ring sensitive enough to do good focus stacking without a rail, so I dug out my trusty old Canon 180 f/3.5 and had another go this morning. Despite a breeze bouncing these around a bit, I managed a couple of stacks that I liked.

Specific Feedback

If you notice any stacking anomalies, please point them out. Anything else is, of course, fair game.

Technical Details

Sony A1, Canon 180 mm, f/3.5 macro, tripod, f/11, 1/80, iso 1000. 16 shots combined in Helicon Focus. Further processing in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a vertical original to 4277x6489. Taken at 7:02 this morning under foggy skies.

1 Like

Drop dead gorgeous, Dennis. The detail in the water droplets, texture and the colors are exquisite!

This is a beauty, Dennis, especially with the nice dew covering. Shooting this as a vertical fits the plant perfectly.

I thought I’d commented on this one, but I see I had a brain freeze. What a vibrant and lush plant. I don’t think I’ve seen these in the wild, only in plantings. The water adds a lot of freshness and interest. Super background, too - just the right subdued green for the vivid flowers. Excellent.