Portrait of a Shooting Star

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Portrait of a Shooting Star

If you wonder where I am and it is the morning after a rainstorm, find a place with wildflowers and that is likely where I’ll be! This Shooting Star got all dressed up for a photo shoot and was wearing a tiara of dew drops.

Specific Feedback

I’m always open to all forms of feedback. Generally curious what folks think of an image like this that does not include anything but the flower.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Sigma 105mm Macro
ISO 64, f/7.1, 1/80th sec
49 images stacked for sharp focus in Helicon Focus
Processed in Lightroom Classic CC

Hi Paul,

I feel that lone flower images like this have a very legitimate place in modern photography! So many people have done this and the great news is that it never gets old! :slight_smile:

I love the composition, the color, the details, the lighting, the way the stem shows through the delicate petals, the angle of the stem, the dew drops and the title!

No nitpicks from me at all, it is a perfect display of flora IMHO! :slight_smile:

Hi, Paul. What a beautiful image you captured! Or maybe I should be saying “images” since you mentioned the number of photos you captured to stack into this beauty.

Indeed, raindrops are our best friends when it comes to flower macro photography. The level of detail is stunning. The same goes for the color palette present here. As for the composition, I think that isolating the subject goes a long way in flower photography. We are able to concentrate and enjoy every detail one captures. I especially like the inside droplets we see through the petals. I have the same Sigma lens and love everything about it. Your macro is gorgeous.

A beauty of a portrait for sure. I have only encountered these in botanical gardens so you are quite lucky to have them handy. I quite like the angle you chose - kind of a 3/4 profile rather than the typical 1/2 profile. The stack looks immaculate and the drops…well, they always make flower photography better don’t they? The background works very well with the green shades setting off the magenta of the flower. Super shot.