Oregon Sunshine

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife has a bed of this flower and the sun fell on this pair just right when I was out the other morning and it was still enough to do a stack.

Specific Feedback

I tried to convey the dense bed of flowers with the busy background. Is it too distracting?

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, Canon 180 mm, F/3.5 macro, tripod, 12 image stack @ f/16, 1/160, iso 2000. Processed in LR & PS CC. The originals were taken in portrait mode, but I ended up cropping to a horizontal orientation. Almost full width. Taken June 19th at 7 a.m.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

What a nice stack – those tiny droplets are so cool!! Not too much stuff for me, but i do wonder about cropping to get rid of the flower center on the left edge. Yellow is difficult for me, but I wonder about a tiny bit more tonal detail in the brightest petals…

Wonderful image, Dennis. The detail on the two main flowers looks fantastic, and they stand out nicely from the crowd. I like your background and don’t find it distracting. Since it is not brightly lit, I don’t really see it competing for attention. I did have the same thought as Diane about cropping in from the left edge a bit, but other than that I don’t have any suggestions. Beautifully done.