Eastern Sierra with record snowfall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shot an hour after my previous offering, descending into Minden, NV for breakfast at the airport restaurant, at the start of a trip to KS. Nothing artistic or special here, except this is about twice the normal snowfall. Also not the most scenic part of the mountains, but we didn’t have time for an indirect route.

The companion to the marine layer is just visible here in the gap on the right, looking back west – a temperature inversion trapping air pollution and moisture in a cooler and denser mass of stable air.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 1.35.33 PM

Slight lowering of Highlights in LR, and cropped from top and bottom. Into PS for Topaz Denoise (Low Light) and some edge cleanup.

The ISO could have been lower but a higher than needed SS is better than one that is too low. The slightest turbulence, euphemistically referred to as light chop, taxes the highest SS and best stabilization money can buy.

Awesome view Diane! Looks like a skier’s paradise. Just a minor thing but the image feels a little tilted to the right. I’m sure it’s more of an optical illusion but without a true horizon, it’s sometimes difficult to level the image in the field.

Thanks, @Alfredo_Mora! The very large Mt. Rose ski area is just over those hills – finally closed for the season. I should have added in my processing notes that I did a temporary top layer in PS with a very exaggerated Nik Tonal Contrast to show up the top of the haze layer, and tweaked the level based on it. Maybe I should make the layer more obvious in the final, as it is difficult to judge level by the mountains. I can sometimes use trees as a vertical reference but here they are leaning every which way – maybe the remains of one of our famous fires? I can’t keep track of them. I’m so happy to have a level in the viewfinder and usually have time to use it but if the scene is disappearing fast, I may not get the camera leveled in time.

Virgin snow whoa… and I love the tiny trees and their shadows pointing at 2 o’clock! Awesome to fly over such a landscape after breakfast!!