Egret in Flight

Close to our home is a pond frequented by egrets and herons. I had just purchased the Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 lens and was trying it out shooting an egret on the shore. It took off and I shot a sequence as it was leaving the area. I liked this one frame where it was against a background of fall color. I went back to the original file and edited from scratch.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback welcome!

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikkor 200-500mm @460mm, f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO 800, handheld. Processed in ACR, PS, and Topaz Sharpen AI. I made a selection of the bird and selectively lowered the highlights. I also made a slight exposure gradient on the background and increased the background color saturation.

Here’s what I started with:

2 Likes

Patrick, this is a beautiful image. I love the colors and contrast in the image. The editing you have done on the egret enhanced its beauty just right. I also like the background and saturation you added. Only one thing has come to mind that might make the image even better. Perhaps the highlights in the URC could be reduced a little bit. It is clear where the light is coming from, but maybe less luminance in that corner would keep the viewer’s eyes right on the egret at all times. Again, the edit was nicely done. Thanks for sharing the starting point and final image, too.

@EgĂ­dio , thanks for your comment! I agree with you on the luminance in the URC.

1 Like

Beautiful shot Patrick. The white egret against the gold foliage is striking, in addition to the wing positions. Just enough space on the right to fly into. Have to agree with Egidio’s suggestion, which would make the image a little better.

2 Likes