Electrifying

I discover the Sabattier effect a couple of weeks ago and have been experimenting - and having a great time- with this process. I’m wondering if anyone in this group has heard, or used this process? Either these computer days or back in the film days? From what I read, it was discovered in the early 1900’s by Armand Sabatier and others. Back in the film days a negative was either wholly or partially reversed in dark areas by over exposing and under exposing light areas, creating a “solarized” effect. It works best on black/white images with simple outlines and bold shapes.

original photo:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Basically here’s what i did:

1. photo is uploaded to Photoshop - 2.duplicate original layer - 3. create black & white adjustment layer - 4. create curves adjustment layer - 5. create brightness/contrast adjustment layer - 6. on the copy of the original photo; - 6a. click on filter, stylize, solarize - 6b. then - the original tutorial suggested changing blending mode to “exclusion” however I started playing with different effects and for this photo used “hue” then continued experimenting with different blending modes on the black&white adjustment layer. Finally settling on “luminosity.”
    Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This technique does not seem like one I would use every day and it is certainly subject to the creator whim, however, how does it strike you? Any other thought/comments?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/18, 1/13 sec., iso 200, 100mm - cropped 1:1

Thanks.

Linda, your experimenting has produced a striking look that emphasizes the shapes in this flower very well. Being able to try things like this with software opens the door to a wide variety of experiments. Were I pursuing this, I’d try to get the lines in the petals to show (at least subtly) and clone out those few bright specks, but that may not be your vision.

1 Like

re-post

Thanks Mark. My mistake, I believe I posted the wrong version - now posted - with the specks removed. I like the idea of getting the petal lines to show, slightly, but am wondering if there is a tool - other than burning/dodging - that could reveal the lines? I tried a “charcoal” paint brush and did get far. Any thoughts?

A very cool effect, Linda. I like the results. I do see what Mark means about the texture in the petals, but there seems to be enough toward the tips to hint at it nicely.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis. Here is another re-post with some more experimental techniques attempting to reveal, just slightly, some of the veins. Definitely like the effect, but need to do more with this process. Thank again.