Elegance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We arrived at this spot around four in the afternoon, landing our canoe on a small beach on a calm stretch of river just before it did a dogleg into a two-mile run of raging, boney rapids that we would have to portage around. Fortunately, near where we landed at the beginning of this portage there was also a small campsite. The day was excruciatingly hot, well over 90 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. We had already done two or three long portages, five or six miles in all, and we were bushed, hot, and and cranky This portage, given that we would have to walk it five times back and forth to get all our food and gear across, would total around 10 miles and there was no way we were doing it on this day. So, we unloaded and dragged ourselves over to the little campsite and sat ourselves down in the shade. As I sat there gratefully refreshing myself with cold water and a handful of gorp, I looked over to my right, and this is what I saw. And even though I was totally wasted I remember thinking to myself – “That arrangement of rock and tree is so elegantly balanced, so calm, and harmonious”. I could feel myself cooling off just looking at it. And I thought, “Sometime before we leave this place tomorrow morning, I am going to commit this scene to camera”. And this is that picture. I have no idea how you experience it as you look at it, but to me it brings to mind the experience of a long, hot day of hard work and here, the welcoming shade to rest at the end of it.

Specific Feedback

The mood I’m trying to capture with this image is one of cool, elegant balance. (And here I mean “cool” not so much in the sense of temperature - cool water - as in the sense of laid back - cool jazz). Does it strike you that way? Inquiring minds want to know. Any other comments, thoughts, feelings, or suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 12.19.00 PM

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Kerry, great story with an even greater composition . Love it.

1 Like

Very nice, Kerry! Fun story too! A beautiful mix of color and elements; well seen, shot, and processed.

1 Like

Kerry,
I thoroughly enjoyed your story behind this image and kudos for going back to capture this intimate landscape as it sounds as though you were bushed. I love the diagonals and lush greens of the evergreens and the rock helps ground the scene. I find the image more refreshing in a temperature sense, but then it has been sweltering here in MD for a bit. :sweat: Beautifully done.

1 Like

@Ben_van_der_Sande , @Bill_Chambers , @Ed_Lowe - thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I love telling stories almost as much as creating the images so I’m glad you enjoyed that part of the presentation in addition to the picture. Again, much appreciated.