Streamside Idyll

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken while sitting on some rocks jutting into a local river enjoying the sights and sounds of a lovely summer day. The idea was to capture the quiet pleasure of the moment.

Specific Feedback

Can you hear the river and feel the breeze? I chose a shutter speed that would capture some of the ripple details in the mid-ground while smoothing the water rushing between the rocks that I was sitting on.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 35, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod & polarizer

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

And capture it you did Mark. This has a quiet peaceful vibe to it that I find very inviting. I particularly like the reflection of the green trees in the BG section of water. I also like the placement of the rocks as they direct the viewer into this lovely scene. My only suggestion would be to clone out that white spot on the large rock on the left as it does catch my eye a little. Was this here in MD or at your place out west? Nicely done!

Ed, this is the Patuxent River in MD.

Now there’s a place I’d love to sit and have a nice meal or drink a cup of coffee. The gold below flowing to the green above is a nice color contrast.

I’m curious if you took a vertical also? I’d have to see it to compare, but I think a bit more of the trees would work well too.

I does look like an idyllic spot. Just drift a fly down that current and … zowie!