Mountain Stream #1

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sitting quietly next to a mountain stream on a sunny day, the colored rocks under the water and the sounds of the rushing water were nicely joyful. This is an attempt to capture that feeling.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 100, 1/30 s, f/14, iso 800, tripod and polarizer

I like the feel of this image, Mark and how you caught the motion of the stream. I think the large white patches on the top and right look a little too static for the rest of the image and having them cut off doesn’t help. I think cropping in on this makes the image flow more, something like this:

Mark, I agree with Dennis. The top was pulling my eye too much. I think a tighter crop focusing on that section with the browns, reds, and greens with swirling water may push this further into the abstract side if that’s your goal. If not, that tranquil feeling from sitting near the water comes through the image.

Mark, with your image and words here, you bring me right there - to my happy place. My favorite place to be…

I’m drawn to what I see is a little swirling vortex at the bottom; gives me the impression the water is “draining”. There’s a nice balance of colors, motion and detail here.

I agree with Dennis and really, really like how is edit simplifies the scene. And I believe very little, if any, loss of the impact, motion and detail with the crop.

Wonderful, intimate scene that draws me in and takes me to that place.

Lon