Stream

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was wandering along a creek I like and saw this. I isolated the details I liked with a 400mm lens.

Technical Details

Unavailable.

1 Like

Hey Don!

Looks like you got some lovely light conditions for when you took this image. My first impressions with this image is, like I said, you have some great light going on - especially in the water splashing above the rocks. Secondly, for me, is that there is a lot going on and thirdly the composition feels a bit unbalanced.

Re the composition - the bug distraction for me here is that you have two very strong competing elements opposing each other. You have the rock in the upper left corner with the water flowing around it and the rocks with leaves in the lower right corner and the water splashing above. They are both strong elements on their own but in this composition they feel a little isolated by the stream. I’m not familiar with the location of course but if you wanted both in the scene I may have arranged them so the were more in line (or slightly offset) with each other and the eye flowed from one element to the other.

When shooting with a telephoto lens, like you have, its a great opportunity to pick out small details within the landscape and its a great way to distil it too. In my opinion there is almost too much going on in this small scene. I think in this instance ‘less if more’.

As I mentioned earlier, you have really strong elements in this scene (ive highlighted them in blue squares on an image). Both of these subjects would have made interesting images on their own with a bot of composition tweaking. Personally the scene on the right in the most interesting. Rocks, leaves and the power of the water all in one small frame. Maybe include a bit more of the swirling water below that rock and you’re onto a winner.

From a processing point of view. It feels to me as it’s slightly over processed. You’ve captured some great textures in the water and think you have selected the correct shutter speed to record the energy. For my eye, the contrast in the water is a bit harsh and would look lovely if it were a bit softer. You can do this by painting in a bit of negative clarity or dehaze even but do keep an eye that you don’t loose too much contrast. Overall the scene feels quite warm too. I think the warmth in the highlights is essential but I would also look to make sure the shadows are a bit cooler. It will add some colour separation and a bit more natural contrast to the image.

Lastly, I’m going to make an assumption, a say you were shooting without a polariser? There is some glare from the sun on the rocks on the right that could be reduced with a polariser. It will also help cut through some of the glare on the water and add some more contrast into the rapids.

I hope this helps and was the type of cc you were after. Please feel free to disagree or shoot me a question of you like.

All the best
Eugene

Eugene, I deleted my response by accident when I was trying to edit it. Either you can’t edit replies here or I haven’t figured out how.

Thanks very much for the thorough response. I wanted to know how others would see this, It made me think through how I took the photograph and whether I could have made better choices. As for the composition, my telephoto lens was maxed out at 400mm and this was the best composition I could find.

1 Like

Hope it was helpful! I suspected you may have been maxed out on your focal length - my comment was more a general one on composition for future considerations :slightly_smiling_face:

All the best!

I have a simpler viewpoint on this, and absolutely love it!! The right half could make another strong image but I’m glad your camera led you to this composition! I don’t mind the two competing rocks – for me they add energy by being on a diagonal and frame the rushing water. One element I absolutely love is the mysterious beautifully lighted are at the top center! From there my eye goes to the cooler rock to the right. The sharply-defined splash on the right echoes the shape of the large rock below it. And then I discover another tiny gem in the little waterfalls to the right of it.

My only suggestion is to wonder about a subtle gradient darkening in the LL corner. The brightness there is lovely but it competes a bit with the subtler details that I want to keep exploring.

That’s very helpful, Diane. This one will probably be included in a small exhibit in a couple of months and it will be framed and surrounded by a white mat. If I don’t put a vignette on the left side, the left side will tend to blend into the mat. Don’t want that!

Congratulations on the opportunity to show it – well deserved!! I meant to add, but you may have discovered it by now – you can edit a reply by clicking on the pencil icon in the lower right. (I do it often as I spot typos.)

Thanks. I edited this response.