Stream reflections

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m primarily interested in whether this photo prompts a reaction in viewers or not.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was looking for photos that would show both reflections in this stream and what lay below them. It’s a sort of natural multiple exposure. In this one, there’s actually a third level to be seen. i.e., the stick floating in the upper right.

I keep coming back to photographing stream reflections. They must do something for me.

Technical Details

ISO 250, 135mm, f/11, .8 second.

Specific Feedback

“Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.” That 's it.

Very cool! It definitely pulls me in for a closer look and the layers hold my attention and keep me exploring. Well seen and photographed!

The reflections and the submerged rocks really attract my attention and hold it well, Don. I don’t have any real emotional response past it being a pleasant scene and the kind of place I like to visit. For my taste the upper and left side of the image is too bold for the rest of the image and it feels a bit unbalanced. I played with cropping and I like the lower right area a lot:

1 Like

I agree with Dennis and was going to recommend a similar alternate composition. The most interesting section of the image is that rock layered between the blurred upper and lower sections. Nice work Don!

Thanks for the comments. I hadn’t considered a crop but I can see why one may be in order. I’ll fool with it.

Lovely, Don. I see a story where reality is intruding into my fantasy. The way the central, lighted rock feels like its poking up through the trees is rather surreal, but that stick in the URC brings me back to reality. I love the composition and I think a crop would ruin the overall balance. If you were into serious cloning, you could clone out the stick. Or maybe go back to this place?

I very much like the stick in the URC, Bonnie. Dennis was talking about the upper left, if I understood him.

I played around with various crops. I can see why a crop might seem appropriate but I couldn’t find one I could live with.