Creek

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken by a stream in Arizona.

Technical Details

1/50 second, f/11, ISO 100 .

4 Likes

Quite a striking image. The color contrast and the sharpness of the bare trees would have stopped me in my tracks, too. You could clone or crop the slightly greener bit on the right edge for more continuity. Everything is subdued and a bit soft, maybe a vignette too? The transition there looks a bit abrupt, but that’s a matter of taste.

1 Like

Very nice image. I might consider darkening the reds to bring more contrast to the white trees.

1 Like

Hi Don,
that is a beautiful scene. I can well understand why you stopped here and took the picture.
The dead trees stand out nicely against the vibrant background.

I hope you don’t mind that I downloaded your image and played around with it.

• I added some contrast to the image (most of the contrast was added by the Darks Triple Play Function of the TK Panel)
  • I also addressed the green tree at the right edge which was also mentioned by @Kris_Smith.
  • I did some dodge and burn here and there
3 Likes

Thank you, Jens, and I’m glad you downloaded a copy. I made all the changes you suggested although I made them in my own way and according to my own tastes. :slight_smile: Your reply was very helpful.

1 Like

Hi Don, this image reminds me of images by Alex Noriega, which is a compliment! I like how @Jens_Ober worked to bring out the white trees against the red background. Another way to do it might be a color mask using TK panels. You have three main trees, which is pleasing to the eye. Maybe you could do little more burning of the minor branches between the three main trees? There is no real focal point in the image, but maybe that is OK. Nice work!

Thanks for the feedback, Patrick.

1 Like

This is lovely!! The composition and fine detail are delightful, and the trees glow against the subdued BG. The bit of FG vegetation has broken up the trunks enough to help provide some base to the image.

I think @Jens_Ober has a good idea – I’d love to see your new version!

Thanks, Diane. If I didn’t upload the wrong version, this is my revision.

2 Likes

I really like how that white mess (in a good way) of the bare trees stands out against that reddish background. Your revised version makes what was already a good image great. Nicely done!

It does!!

You can always edit the original post and add a new version there. That lets people click back and forth to really see the differences. And it’s quite fair to put the new version on top!