Roadside Creek

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

D800
24-70

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great range of colors from foreground to the backdrop of reds, yellows and greens. The small cascade also adds interest. Lots to enjoy and explore.

Hi,

Whenever I look at images I try to distance myself from pure opinion and instead get a feel for the image and your intent. Initially I wasn’t sure with this one, thinking some of the content was a bit lost in the whole. The top left I love, the fall colours and the confluence of angles. The little cascade gets a bit los, and I’m not sure of the overall composition in terms of whether it’s holistic or not. With the horizon (shoreline) in the middle of the frame, it makes it a bit top and bottom, splitting the frame in half and asking the question “What’s the main subject here?”

Beautiful scene loaded with potential, but I’d work on this to clarify more of what is important in terms of balance and flow.

1 Like

Chris, I agree with Alister, I like a lot of the ingredients that you have within this image, but you need to prioritize which ones you want to emphasize. Less would definitely be more here. To me, the three things that I find most interesting are the fall color (the star of the show), and the little cascade and colorful rocks beneath the water (nice secondary elements). The grey rocks above the water are not that interesting to me, and I think including the small grey rock in the lower right corner led you to a composition that tries to put too much into this image.

Here is a proposed crop that tightens this up a bit. And i burned down the grey rocks, they felt a bit hot to me.

3 Likes

I like what you’ve done ! It tightens things up nicely. I agree about the grey rocks being a bit bright. Ithe image seemed a bit dark so I brightened it on my phone before I uploaded it. Probably a bad idea.

Thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

I like Ed’s composition but my favorite part of the image, the underwater rocks, have been largely cropped out. I would keep the original composition and drop the highlights in all the rocks. They draw the most attention and are the least interesting.

I’m with you, Igor!
I like Ed’s comp too. It seems to draw you in more. But I also like the colors of the submerged rocks too.

Honestly, the issues mentioned concerning my original comp didn’t exist for me personally. But I can see where they were coming from. I might try a compromise between the two with the burned down boulders included. This is a lovely little creek with a lot more colored foliage along the left bank. And better Cascades in nearby places. But the fact that it’s near a roadside and embankment did not afford me good compositional options to include those. In the end, I felt fortunate to finally find this comp before I gave up on it all together.

I prefer your original composition, Chris. In the OP, the light toned boulders compete with the Autumn foliage. I think if you worked on darkening the rocks with affecting the underwater stones, this would look real nice. The three stones on the left, and the boulder on the right act as lead-ins. Nice Autumns scene.
–P

I also prefer the original comp. There are two lines of stones leading to the deadish trees in the middle. It is a somewhat busy scene but these lines provide cohesion. The warm autumn colours are gorgeous and they nicely complement the grey stones. My only suggestion is to darken that half submerged stone in the lrc. A great fall image.

Hi Chris, I think it’s good and here’s why.

First, fall colors are hard to shoot. Finding compositions in nature is hard, and fall colors are harder.

What I like about it.

I’m in the camp that the original crop is the best. I tried a 16:9 and moving the crop around but it loses some balance when I do that. There is a lot of color in the scene that is lost if you crop. We don’t want to lose that!

You have leading lines from the bottom left into the scene and from the bottom right, with the stones. I don’t think you could position yourself better to take advantage of those, so good job! Unfortunately they are also lines in the trees that then take the viewer’s eye out of scene. But those can be tamed with the adjustment brush.

Finally, a vignette would create some order and wrangle in the eye.

Oh, and I used the adjustment brush to cool the WB of the river down.