Fall Creek

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3300, 18-55 mm @42 mm, iso 100, f/29, 4 sec.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like how harmonious the colors are in this image. And the subtle “diagonal” composition works well, too. But I find my eyes wandering a little bit in the image trying to find something to focus on. I think the “waterfall” is quite nice but I would like to see more texture on the highlights and I think more isolation would look really nice. Perhaps you could elaborate more about the reasoning behind the composition. What attracts you to this scene?

Adhika, Thank you for your input. This photo was taken about 4 years ago when I first reacquainted myself with photography since the days of film. My attraction to the composition was the colors of the season and my focus was on the little waterfall as I was experimenting with slow shutter speeds.

Nicholas,

Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here. This is a very nice autumn intimate scene. I like how you chose to zoom in a bit to compose this. There’s a nice balance between the rock, the flowing water and the scattering of autumn leaves.

I think the composition works well. Technically, this looks a little soft. Not sure if it’s a focus thing or the quality of the lens at f/29? The depth of field looks pretty good as one would expect. But this just doesn’t seem to have the sharpness I would expect. Not sure what you did in post for sharpening and again what kind of resolution you’re getting at f/29.

The only other suggestion I have would be to shift the color balance a little cooler; this seems to be a little on the yellow/warm side. Not a bad thing for an autumn scene, but even in autumn I would expect this scene to have some cooler tones in there.

I’m wondering too if you have a little extra room at the bottom, or is this the edge of the frame? Bonus material if there was just a touch more room at the bottom to see more of the bottom cascade.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Thanks Lon for your help. I don’t remember what I did in post, this was just after I got my first DSLR. This was cropped from a larger image, I’m sure there is more room at the bottom. I have to get the old raw file and work on it.