Elephants Trunk (IC 1396) @ 1600mm

A very colorful star forming region, this is the center of the Nebula area taken
at 1600mm over 3 nights during the Full moon in my backyard, Portland, Oregon this past week.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any appreciated.

Technical Details

Askar 600mm f5.6 telescope
asi533 color camera (effective focal length 1620mm)
EQM6 mount, Radian quad filter.
79-10 minute images (13 hours total)
Stack in Astropixel, PP in Pixinsight, Affinity, Photoshop.

1 Like

I never tire looking at your astro images Dan. I just love the colors in this one. I certainly see the elephants trunk as well. 3 nights? Wow. That’s dedication. Is that to get more light on the subject?
There is nothing that draws the eye so I have no recommendations for you but I do see at the bottom 5% of the image it looks like there was no noise reduction. It’s from edge to edge so it might have just been missed or it could be astro dust or something else altogether.
Beautiful work. Keep them coming.

Another beautiful image, Dan. Do you crop these from larger images, or do you frame these in the field? It must be hard to frame in the field. Whatever you do, this is nice.

Excellent, Dan. You continue to show us wonderful scenes of the far out space. Love it.

Thanks for the comments…
Mark, I do frame them with my Asiair. The Go-to mount takes you to the target but you can then go to a larger area view in the Asiair and then move the scope and frame it up.
After several nights though you do get off a bit and the bottom edge did not get the same coverage as David correctly noticed… I will fix that.
This is basically full frame.
After framing I just set the asiair to shoot a many images as I want, go in the house and watch a movie or go to bed.
This stuff is much simpler than people realize.

1 Like