The Elephants Trunk

The Elephants Trunk Nebula is a 20 light year long black dust area inside the IC 1396 nebula in the Cepheus constellation, a fairly deep space object.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
About 3 1/2 hours image time in Prineville Oregon with
modified Nikon D610 camera and 300 f2.8 lens with 1.4 tc. @ 420mm
PP in Astropixel, Capture one and Affinity photo

Awesome. I don’t know that I can see the elephant’s trunk, but it’s a wonderful image nevertheless.

An amazing image, Karl. I am not into this area of photography, but I like this one a lot on its more abstract merit with colors, patterns and structure.

What an awesome spectacle. I didn’t expect it until I opened it and saw the fine details. It works for me as an abstract and as an abstract it might be better without the bright star.

Your Ha conversion is working very well, to give nice detail for the red emission spectrum. (For those not into astro, the sensors in our cameras block infrared light, which is just beyond our vision, because it focuses behind the focal plane for visible light and messes up the sharpness of our captures. For astro photography, the optical layer on the sensor that blocks that IR sensitivity can be removed to allow capture of natural red light from the emission spectrum of Helium atoms that contributes to the light from some nebulae. ) Coatings on the lens can also affect the quality of IR light and you may have a very good lens in that regard.

You have good color in the star here. For my taste, this would be one for reducing small stars but all in all I find this one very nice.