Encased in Ice + repost

This is the last of my “Freezing Rain” photos.
I’m not exactly sure what this is, but I believe that it’s climbing (American) bittersweet. I say that based on the leaves that I have the luxury viewing now. Please let me know if you know it to be something else

Specific Feedback Requested

Please comment on composition and BG. I know that the 8 bit JPG file uploaded has color banding. I have read some on the comments on how to reduce/eliminate the color bands, but I have had time to walk through them in ACR and PS

This is a 3 shot focus stack. Hind-site being 20/20. I should have taken at least one more shot to get the stem the berry is hanging from in focus.

Technical Details

Canon 5D IV | EF100 Macro | f16 | 1/30s | ISO 400 | 100mm
Processed using ACR and Photoshop
3 shot focus stack using PS
Topaz De Noise to selectively reduce noise in couple of small areas

2 Likes

David, I like this with the red colored berry and the nice brown BG. I do see several dust bunnies in the background though that you might want to clone out. I like the composition, and everything looks sharp. I could see this on a wall.

I like this one a lot. The subject is very interesting, the details and color scheme is great with the red berry as the exclamation mark. One idea could be to crop a little bit of the area to the right (but not to much, the berry should still be off centre).

Sigh… Swoon… Drool… And now we get a red berry!!! The lighting is wonderful – @Kris_Smith would say lickable!! And the BG is wonderful, both in color and tonalities. If you emphasized tonal structure, it was worth he price of some posterization in the JPEG.

I think @Ola_Jovall has a good idea about a slight crop from the right. It may be an optical illusion, but the drop feels a bit angled. I wonder about a slight CW rotation, but not a big deal.

If this is the last one, I’m going to hold my breath till next winter. These shots have been simply wonderful!!! All deserve to be framed and hung in a grouping.

Hi David, love the controlled red and the texture shown. The light background behind the berry works well. I like this composition but the other suggestions above should be worth exploring. An intriguing image.

HI. I can’t really add much to what has been said already (all my little nit-pickings have already been mentioned…), but I really like this image. Crisp textures and rich colors. The framing of the berry with the lighter background also works extremely well. Like how you managed to get both the branch, berry and frozen drop into sharp focus. Great job!

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I didn’t realize that I had dust bunnies until Shirley mentioned it. That has been resolved. I’m also posting a version at a 4:5 ratio. I space the berry to take a little more off the right than the left. I see that this ratio makes a dramatically different photo.

1 Like

David, I really your repost. I think the 4X5 ratio works best. I will go ahead and edit your title to include “+repost” so others will know that you have edited it since they last viewed it. Great job. This belongs on a wall, in my opinion!

1 Like