End of Autumn -repost #3

Just read about the Man From Mars Method. Touted as a quick way to put life into images with a narrow range of color or brightness. So I figured this soul-less fern image was a good candidate . The result conveys not a quiet submission to autumn, but to me is a more typical autumn image, and the curved lines are a more prominent characteristic. Fun experiment.

@Igor_Doncov pointed out that the image lacked connection and soul. That sent me thoughtfully back to the monitor. Seems to me that I hid the notion of “quiet submission” behind some almost garish saturation. This revision deadens the leaf a bit, and quiets the fern. RIP.

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman. This version eliminates the “black hole”. I should have masked out this area in a couple of my darkening layers.

This maidenhair fern has been “in the family” for over half a century. Now out my kitchen window, I see it turning a fine yellow, not yet rotting away for the winter. I needed a subject for my new Canon 100mm lens, so ventured forth. By the time I got there, a big-leaf maple leaf had fallen over my fern. I was impressed by the parallel curves in the maple leaf and the fern vein. This is a focus stack of 7 captures, with a lot of burning.
The intent is to convey a quiet submission to the season.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this convey late autumn to you

This turned out really well and really brings across late fall. Minor, but I might clone in a bit of the lighter brown background to the black area URC. Its darkness compared to everything else pulls my eye there. Very well done and a fine test of the new glass.

1 Like

Dick, great use of a “Golden Spiral” composition here, the repeating curved lines are wonderful. I also like how the fern at the top has a curve that is inverted relative to all the others. The focus stacking worked well here, you must have been fortunate enough to have no wind. Looks like your new 100mm macro lens is off to a great start, nice work on this one.

1 Like

Beautiful colors and your composition does convey submission, with those downward curving lines. I feel like the shadow under the leaf, near the LLC is a bit too dark - maybe bringing up the shadows there (just a little), and in that spot along the right side of the frame, would make those areas less noticeable.

Interesting idea. I can see where you’re coming from. The lines in the ferns are being repeated in the leaf. I don’t know. Have to be with this a bit longer. Despite the story the don’t feel like they belong together. I don’t feel the connection so much. Maybe it will come around with time. It doesn’t have a soul.

1 Like

… a soul … That is a thoroughly thought provoking assessment. Thank you. Admittedly it was a technical effort, and I think I forgot the luster of the fern that started me out on the little project. Will work on this. TY again