Endlessly (1 re-edit)

A little selective dodging & burning as per Ed’s recommendation -

This is an image from Tucker Falls - just a section of them. It was around the time I started getting serious about doing better work with digital and had upgraded my gear and techniques. I can’t remember much about taking this one since I went to Tucker Falls all the time and got some great images.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m trying for a ‘fine art’ image here. I think it works and have been careful about orientation and processing, but am I close? What else would you do? Is it hopeless?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus E-30
Zuiko 12-60mm lens @ 32mm (64mm equivalent)
f/13 | 1/3 sec | ISO 200
Tripod
Possibly a polarizer although I can’t be sure.

Lr for general editing - lens correction and transform to rotate it a bit, selective edit with brush to bring up texture and clarity in the water and improve exposure on the log and rocks in LLC. Overall exposure went up a bit as did the sharpening. Ps to remove some distracting sticks in the water and some vegetation on the rocks that was distracting.

2 Likes

Ah, I know this waterfall well, it is one of my favorites in New Hampshire. Which is saying a lot given it’s not in the White Mountains. I think you have succeeded with the fine art look, this scene is perfect for B&W. I especially like the tonality and texture in the log. Definitely not a “hopeless” image.

I think the log works, which isn’t often the case for waterfall images. Here the log fills negative space in what I think is one the less interesting parts of the water flow, so that’s a plus. The shutter speed is okay for flow in the water, though I could see it being slightly faster for slightly more detail and texture, particularly in the right half of the image. This is one of those waterfall images where bracketing for different shutter speeds (and thus water flow), then blending in the best parts for each area might have helped. I would also suggest burning the bright water along the left and top frame edges, to make the white water darker than it is in the center. This is a very good image Kris, definitely worth seeing what you get for comments and trying to tweak it a bit further.

1 Like

Thanks Ed. Loved how on a summer day with overcast skies you could hit Senter, Purgatory (upper and lower), Tucker and Garwin falls all in one day. Phew. So great.

Kristen, I really like this waterfall shot. The log is intriguing to me. You would think it would be obtrusive but it really adds to the shot by my eye. Congrats on seeing this perspective.

1 Like

I will echo @Ed_McGuirk 's comments. It’s really funny. Sometimes a log in our waterfall shots will totally ruin it and other times it actually makes the shot. I think without the log, it’s just another waterfall image.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

If anyone fancies the full falls with log, let me know. I’ve got it around here somewhere.

Been there, done that, usually in spring not summer though. I would often drive there via Fitchburg, MA and add Trap Falls to the list too.

1 Like

This is so cool,
love the B/W tones here and really love the log.
I would crop a little bit on the top just bellow the dark rock at the middle.

1 Like

Just for Ed - the lovely Tucker Falls -

I’ve never done Trap falls, but Royalston in Mass was a favorite. The brook is as amazing as the waterfall. It has a stone arch over the water. The ONLY time I’ve ever seen one. And the gorges are so unreal. It was a haul from my house, but worth it. As were Pulpit falls in the corner of Mass and NH. Oh and Fay Falls, too. So many treasures.

This is very nice Kris! Even better with the edits. You’ve done a nice job of isolating the beauty of the falls. I totally agree about the log. I normally hate them (they ruin SOO many good waterfall shots around here), but in this image it really adds. Nicely done.

1 Like