Lee Falls

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

What do you think of the crop? I love the orange light coming from the top of the image but I am not sure of the log. I would have liked to move further left but I had forgotten to bring waterproof footwear so that was not possible.

Any pertinent technical details:

Taken with a Fuji XT-2, 10-24 f4 lens, shot at 11.5mm, f18.
Bracketed and then combined in Lightroom

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The light and effect of the soft water leading diagonally up to the falls is very attractive as is the warm glow in the water lower right. The trees at the top, though, are a little too bright (hot). Also the branches upper left don’t add anything, so I would either darken them (to make them less noticeable) if you want to keep the sweeping line in the soft water, and/or crop in from the left a bit. Also if you tone down the water below the falls a bit a little more detail might show through there.eba106faec3fc83f7e6dfcba4f7964c04ddcf177-2

Jeremy, I too like the view. Having the entire log in the frame helps it become part of the view rather than a distraction. I agree that burning in the trees and sky helps a lot. Rick’s redo show what that does.

Jeremy,

I think you’ve composed this quite nicely - and that log, you did the best by including all of it and incorporating it in to the scene, accepting it’s presence. The only other choice would have been to get wet and get in front of it! :wink:

Agree with previous comments about toning down the highlights up top; but it also reflects reality and it’s not washed out per se. I really like the reflected color in the lower right; only wish there was more of it. I suspect your postioning was limited and couldn’t get more in front of that color. Oh, and the flow around the log, both above and below looks great, as does the texture in the water.

Thanks for posting!

Lon