Enjoy the Journey

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love the challenge of shooting these little ones. They are SO quick and amazing birds. The other day I was especially challenged (as were they) because not only were they fast, but a stiff breeze had come up and the flowers were all over the place. I don’t know if this one just had enough, but maybe she just decided to “enjoy the journey” instead. :slight_smile:

Technical Details

3 Likes

Nice job on this one, Judy. I noticed that you posted it at 1000 pixels on the long side. When I click on the “larger image” it actually upsizes it a bit which makes it appear slightly soft. With most of the monitors these days being 2K or greater, your images will look better and be easier to critique if you post them at around 2000 pixels on the long side (I have my export set up for 2048-but that’s because my camera club wants the that size).

Thank you for the feedback. I will make a change. It is not soft (but understand why it is viewing that way), one reason I liked it was b/c of it being tack sharp. :slight_smile: Thanks again!

1 Like

That explains the softness which made me wonder given the shutter speed. Interesting spacial aspect to this one. I’m not sure it works given that it is so small in the frame and not doing much of anything, but it sure is cute. The feet are especially funny and the blinking eye. My preference is for wings more fully articulated and back, but sometimes you take what you can get. I know from my many hours shooting these how hard it is.

Hi Judi, I like this capture of the hummer. Pose looks okay to me with forward wings and the partially closed eye is rather unique. Agree that critiquing sharpness would be easier with a larger image size but the bird does look sharp to me in this version. Complimentary BG too.

Thank you Allen. Yea, I couldn’t be too picky with his wings. It was a windy day and the flowers were just whipping all over, I felt sorry for the little one, and I was amazed I got any pictures in focus. I don’t know if she was fed up here with the wind, or just cruising (but I know I just happened to get her in a blink), but she looked like she was just enjoying the ride. :slight_smile: