Backyard Hummingbird

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is my first image upload and any feedback is welcome!

The eye is sharp, but the wings and tail are not. How much does that take away from the image?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

Handheld, 280mm (200 + 1.4 extender) on a crop sensor camera. 1/2500th, f8, ISO 2500.

We had lots of hummingbirds in our garden this year so one day I just sat in the yard to try to capture them. Wow - they are so fast. This was one of my favorites.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well that is a pretty great Hummingbird photo. You were close…they must be tame.
Very nice pose, looking up and nice wing position.
I might lower the highlights on the flowers.

Steve: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a very fine first post. I took the liberty of moving this to Avian as the main subject is clearly the hummer. I think your POF is excellent and I really like the wing position. Many kudos and again welcome. >=))>

A very nice first post, Steve. I like the wing position and it’s sharp where it needs to be. Unless you’re using a multi-flash setup or live in an area with bazing sunlight, you will have wing blur on these and often tail blur as that’s what they move for added stability and it moves almost as fast as the wings. Amazingly, I’ve gotten the head sharp at 1/50 second or even slower shutter speeds-they have wonderful stabilizing ability for their heads and beaks.

I happen to be fond of the blurred wing look, so I’ll usually try to keep my shutter speed between anout 1/640 and 1/1000, but it’s all a matter of taste.

I do think you could brighten the hummingbird a bit to make it stand out more and if you have the tip of the leaf in the lower right corner, you might ant to conside recropping to include it.

This is a fine image, and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for kind words and catching the highlights. It seems obvious after you point it out. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Dennis - Thank you. I did have some shots in bright sunlight but it was quite harsh so I liked this one better. I too like a little blur as, to me anyway, it helps convey motion. Appreciate your tips on shutter speed. They’ve gone for the season but I’ll give that a try when they return in spring.